Abacus Mental Arithmetic is taught and practised in many parts of Asia, especially in East Asian countries such as China, Japan and Taiwan. In simple terms, the practice of Abacus Mental Arithmetic refers to the acquiring of the ability and skills to perform mathematical calculations on the abacus and gradually being able to visualise the operations of the abacus within the mind. This intellectual ability is the result of trained operations on the abacus. In another words, mastering the operation of abacus is the pre-requisite of mastering Mental Arithmetic, which is the ultimate goal in the teaching and learning of Abacus. Mental Arithmetic is an extension of development of Abacus Operation.
Abacus Mental Arithmetic is the crystallisation of the ancient Abacus methodology and modern pedagogy. Mental Arithmetic is the ‘internalisation’ of the skilful operation on the Abacus. It is the graduation from working on a tangible abacus to visualising it in the brain. It is the apex of Abacus Skill.
Full Course Duration: 3 years (Once weekly, 1.5hours per session)
整套课程完成时间 : 3年 （每周一次， 每次1.5小时）
In 3 years your child will learn and master the following techniques:
- The Addition & Subtraction Method 加减法
- 5 three-digit numbers 五位三笔 ：45895+15895-25698
- 5 four-digit numbers 四位五笔 ：8589-6589+5195-4975+2532
- 10 three-digit numbers 三位十笔 ： 258+964-148+413+674-891+789-457-522+627
- Multiplication 乘法
- Multiple-digit numbers 多位乘多位 ： 598 x 426
- Dividing a Multiple-digit number by a two-digit number 多位除俩位 ： 272493 / 39
Course Material Package 课程材料配套
- Tangible Structured Object: Appeals to Young Learners Children from the ages of 4-12 are most imaginative and are most visual. They are good at mimicking the action of others and are able to form lasting impressions of their experiences. Through the working on the abacus, the operations are imprinted in their minds. Young learners at this age find it easiest to pick up and master the Abacus.
- Helps in the Intellectual Development of Children There are two hemispheres of the brain; the left and right, governing different functions. In Abacus training, the left brain perceives the numbers and the right brain performs the Abacus calculation and sends the results out from the left brain. Hence, Abacus training engages and activates the right brain which is rarely used, resulting in a more balanced development of both hemispheres of the brain. People with a more developed right brain are more creative.
- Helps in Improving Children’s Calculation skills.
- The functions of Shenmo Abacus and Mental Arithmetic
* Stimulates Intellectual Development Our two-hand Abacus training stimulates intellectual development as the synchronised movement of both hands develops the function of both the right and left hemispheres of the brain. The “visualization” process involved in mental arithmetic unlocks the potentials of the brain.
* Calculation Function Calculation is the most basic function of the Abacus. Mental Arithmetic also serves the same calculation function.
* Education Function Abacus and Mental Arithmetic training engages the sense of sight, mental calculation, and hand movements and merges into a synchronised whole. It presents the mathematical processes and principles in a very visual manner that forms a deep impression on the child’s mind. The child will be able to master the calculation processes and results. It trains a child’s logical thinking skills as well as calculation skills. Hence, the abacus is not merely a tool for calculation but it has basic education function.
- Stimulates the children’s interest in learning and encourages them to be active learners. Pre-schoolers are curious and have a thirst for knowledge. They are highly inquisitive and want to be involved in all kinds of activities. They want to discover more about themselves and the surroundings. When Abacus training is adopted into the pre-school or Primary One syllabus or curriculum, the children can accept it more readily. In an abacus class, the children are in charge of their own learning in a highly active, hands-on and interactive environment. The learning process is fun and energetic. They take a an active role in their learning process. It ignites their passion for learning and makes them more ambitious learners.
- Cultivates the children’s arithmetic skills from an early age and shortens the learning process at Primary school. In the recent years, the Abacus and Mental Calculation has been undergoing constant revision from continuous practice and experimentation. The result is a more complete and wholesome theoretical system with a more defined and scientifically-proven effective training methodology. Some students are able to complete the Elementary course within two years, which is a much shorter process than the entire span of the Primary school course.
- The Learning of Abacus also benefits the learning of other subjects. Math and the Sciences are inter-related and complements one another. The learning of the Abacus and Mental Arithmetic stimulates the intellect and promotes dexterity in movement and response. Working on the abacus trains one’s motor-neuron reflexes that are also applicable to typing on the computer keyboard or playing an instrument. Abacus training is proven to improve memory skills. This is also beneficial for the memorizing of English vocabulary and the study of the Humanities.
- Inculcates Perseverance, Determination and a good set of Values in Children Abacus training promotes the development of the brain, speech and motor-neuron skills. The frequent hand movements while moving the beads promotes dexterity. Mental Arithmetic (with the recitation of the formulae) makes the children more articulate. Through constant feedback from the trainer, the children gain a sense of self-awareness and the ability to evaluate their own performance. It motivates them to strive harder for better results, cultivating the virtue of diligence and perseverance in them from a young age. Children are active by nature and working on the abacus requires a high level of concentration. It trains a child to focus and long term benefit is a longer attention span. Mental Arithmetic evolved from ancient Abacus techniques and has carved out a niche for itself amidst the advancement in computerised calculation tools. It is a revolutionary technique that not only serves the calculation function but also serves the higher education function and the stimulation of the intellect. The teaching and learning of Abacus is now part of a global education development project that has now won international accolades.
Shenmo Education @ Clementi Opening Hours
Mon- Fri : 13:00-19:00
Sat & Sun : 9:30- 18:30
- Closed on Public Holidays 公共假期休息
Shenmo Education @ Yishun Opening Hours
Mon- Fri : 15:00-21:00
Sat & Sun : 9:00- 19:00
- Closed on Public Holidays 公共假期休息
- Course fee （Please contact for details）
New Intake Class Hours 新班上课时间 ：
- Saturday : 17:00 – 18:30 (Yishun)
- Sunday : 9:00 – 10:30 ( Clementi)